You’re now inspired to ride your bike to work on May 20th, but maybe you’ve got a few questions.
Here’s a few tips for getting ready to ride your bike on Bike To Work Day.
- First, see what I Bike Fresno is all about.
Get your bike street ready!
- Pump up your tires. Check the sidewall of your tires for the recommended PSI
rating and pump up your tires TODAY to make sure they'll hold air. If you pump
them up and the next day they're flat again, you'll need to get new tubes.
- Check your seat height. If your seat is too low, it can hurt your knees. Too high
and you won't be able to reach the pedals. Sit on your bike while a friend holds the
bike steady. If you don't have a friend you can prop yourself up against a wall. Put
your right pedal in the far down position. Put your heel on the pedal. If your leg is
comfortably straight, then your seat is just right. When your toes are on the pedals
when you ride, your leg will have a comfortable and slight bend.
- Clean your chain. Keep your ride smooth and squeak free by cleaning and lubing
your chain. Here's a great video on how to do it quick and easy!
- If you need more help, check out this Bike Shop Directory
courtesy of I Bike Fresno to find a shop near you that can help you out!
- If you don't have a bike, those same bike shops can hook you up with a ride that fits your riding style. Here's an I Bike Fresno blog that talks about finding the right bike for YOU!
- Start riding NOW! If you start riding BEFORE Bike To Work Day, you'll be in great shape on the day of the big competition.
- Map your route and do a test run on the weekend.
That way you'll know where you're going and how long it's going to take.
Google Maps has a bike icon when you "Get Directions" that shows you the most bike friendly route possible.
- Find a riding buddy who lives close or along your ride to work. Riding with friends is always more fun.